Friday, August 12, 2011

1976 harley did not come stock with Bendix carb?

In anticipation for the motorcycle mania happening this Saturday at the Beaumont Club's Backyard, I needed to get Cherry up and running. This required a new throttle cable, which I was able to obtain, fo' free... from Blue Star Motorcycles over on Troost here in KC. The harley mechanic there told me that in 1976, there was no Bendix carburetor that came stock. Also, he said that there is no way that there is just a bolt pinching the throttle cable to the butterfly valve on the carb. So he fitted me with a throttle cable for a Keihin carb, refused payment from me and away I went...

Well he was wrong, I thought so at the shop but hey what the hell do I know? I'm just a kid with an old ironhead, right? It did come stock in '76 with a Bendix, which is on the bike, and yes there is just a bolt pinching the throttle cable to hold it in. It's shitty engineering and yes there should be a ferrule end for both ends but that's not the way it was apparently, oh well. With help from dad, who rode up from barnes for the mania, we made her work.
The cable was too short, I cut a section of sleeve out and...

...watched dad come up with an idea for a connection.

I used the metal elbow for the throttle housing off of my old cable, and the cable housing/cable from the new cable.

I drilled out the guide for the other end of the throttle cable to accommodate the new cable housing. New housing is slightly larger than old, although the cable is thinner.

I put the ends of the cable section I cut out together...

...and with dad's ingenuity, used a Dillon's (has to be Dillon's) pen for a solid sleeve for the spliced cable so it doesn't fold on me.

Finishing up the process, I made sure to watch dad tape up the handy dandy Dillon's sleeve while I had my beer and took pictures. I put the tank/air filter back on, took her for a test ride, and she work's great! Motorcycle Mania - we are ready for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment